Wine/wine enthusiast

Dear David,

I am from India and a beginning wine enthusiast. Please suggest few wines for a novice enthusiast.

Hi Pushpender,

I'd rather not be specific as 'wine' covers a huge spectrum in both style and cost.

I suggest you start by attending some tasting classes, either at a local college of education or run by a reputable merchant, so that you can sample a good cross-section.

That way you'll find out if a bone dry white, Pinot Grigio for example, or a fortified sweet red such as Port are more to your taste and the tutor will be able to guide you between those extremes.

Remember, there is no such thing as a 'good' wine - only one that YOU like!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.