Wine/1978 Mouton Rothchild

Question
label
label  

top of bottle
top of bottle  
Can you tell me the value if any of a bottle of 1978 Mouton Rochild imported by the Buckingham Corporation.  Unfortunately it has not been properly stored.  There is a lot of sediment at the top near the cork.  Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Mo

This is a great wine from a great vintage, and if it were in perfect condition, it would be worth $1000 or more.

But your comment about storage concerns me. A wine this old will have sediment~ that's not a big worry~ but if it has been too warm, or in the sun, or moved to much, then it will be damaged.   And that really affects the value.

Most auction houses prefer not to sell single bottles for just this reason.   The prefer larger lots from known collectors with well-established reputations and great cellars

For all those reasons, this bottle will be worth far less than a bottle in perfect condition.

It is illegal for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA,  so you'll have to work through a retailer or auction house,  and they will take a considerable commission.

If it were mine, i would probably give it to someone who might understand,  or open it myself~ but with a back up bottle on hand.  This one is a real crapshoot

Sorry i cant give you better news

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner