Have finally brought out a case of mixed wines after years of being stored.  Keenan 1992 cabernet sauvignon and Kendall-Jackson 1998 vintner's reserves.  I don't really want to open them to see if they are still good.  How long do wines generally last without turning vinagery?  Were either of these decent to begin with?

I wouldn't expect any of these wines to still be in good shape. Wine Spectator rated the Keenan wine at 74/100 (not great). The KJ, you just did not supply enough information as they have several 1998 Vintner's reserves: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet-Sauvignon. Anyways, at 16 years old, any of them should be well past their prime except maybe the CS.

Antonio Rocha Graša

Viticulture issues, enology / winemaking issues. Wine regions of the world, with specialisation in the wines of Portugal, including Port. Tasting and sensory analysis, chemical analysis and the relation between both. Wine industry and wine economics (BUT NOT PRICES OF WINES). Sources of information regarding any aspect of wine. The human element of the wine industry and the integration of all aspects and sciences that concur to make a wine. Terroir.

I have been a winemaker for 20 years. I am also in charge of the R&D department of the largest wine company in Portugal.

Sogrape Vinhos S.A. ADVID (Association for the Development of Viticulture in Douro)

Degree in Enology - UTAD, Vila Real, Portugal