Wine/1959 Bordeaux Cruse

Question
I found a Bottle of 1959 Bordeaux Cruse that was distributed by the Jos. Garneau Co., in NYC.  It has something that looks like a serial number 916058.  The label is a little rough, but it looks to be in good shape otherwise.  Is it worth anything?... or is it likely to be worth drinking by some one like me who usually spends $10 TO $20 per bottle?

Thank you - Rex Fouch

Answer
Hi Rex

I apologize for this delay.  I answered your question a couple of days ago, but it looks like there was a software glitch...because this shows you never saw the answer.

Here is what I told you.  Only the greatest chateaux in Bordeaux in 1959 made wines that were capable of aging until today, and even some of those are now showing their age.  Your wine is a negociant blend...a selection of wines put together by a local winemaker to create something that would be pleasant to drink 5-7 years after the vintage.  By now this bottle is tired and faded, with little fruit and browning color.  It won't have any value on the auction market, and it may not have much charm left, either.

But you have nothing to lose.  Open it up and serve it with a roast chicken or mild cheeses, and see what it's like.  Just have a back-up bottle on hand in case it really is completely dead.

Sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner