Wine/German ice wine

More than 20 years ago, we bought a few bottles of ice wine in germany.we are military and have traveled all over the world with this wine. Do you think it's worth anything. We bought it as an investment

Hi Lori

Unless they are from extremely well-known producers, these wines won't have much value, and even with a top producer, there would be questions about storage conditions that would affect the value.  This would be particularly true if you've served in some warm weather locations.

The bad news?  I don't think you could sell these for more than about $25 a bottle...and as a private citizen, you'd have to do that through a licensed retailer or auction house, and pay them a commission.  It just wouldn't be worth your time and effort.

The good news?  Because the high sugar content, these wines are pretty long-lasting, and they should still taste delicious.  I'd open them up special occasions over the next few years, and enjoy them with friends and family.

I'm sorry that I don't have more exciting news for you...but I am sure that you will enjoy these wines!

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.