Wine/wine- too old?

I have the following and wondering if they are ok.  Been stored in a basement.
2001 Luna Di Luna Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio
1999 Wild Vines Raspberry Zinfandel
1999 Nathanson Creek White Zinfandel

Thanks for your help

HI Anthony

Yes and no.  The Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio is almost certainly over the hill---it will be tired and faded.  The two zins might still have a bit of life, but they are approaching the end of their glory days.  Zinfandel isn't one of the reds that ages best.

As wine ages, the fruit tends to die back and the tannins soften.  For a complex wine like cabernet, this can be a good thing.  For fruit driven wines like Zinfandel, there is often little left after the fruit disappears.

But you have nothing to fear, and nothing to lose.  Open up the bottles and see what surprises they hold.  They won't hurt you, and you might find one is really tasty.

Just have a back-up bottle on hand in case of dead wine!

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.