Wine/Da Silva Porto

Question
Da Silva Porto
Da Silva Porto  
Hello! I have recently come into possession of a small, 2 oz. bottle of wine that looks to be pretty old, though there is no date printed anywhere on it that I can see. The label reads

Da Silva Porto
Fine Douro Port
Five Crown
Imported by the Fleischman Distilling Corp, New York, N.Y

The seal also has the number 884180 on it.

Though the bottle does not appear to ever have been opened, and the label has no rips or tears- the cork is brittle and the foil has been removed, though it is still there.

I'm wondering if there is anyway you could come up with a ballpark value of this bottle, and if there is a market for it, how do I enter it?

Answer
Hi Emma

what a cute bottle!  This would have been made for a special marketing campaign, not for regular release through retailers.  Because it has no vintage date on it, it is a blended port, and as such was ready to drink when it was released.  

The bad news is that such wines are not really made to age for years....and the smaller bottle would be far more likely to exhibit the evidence of age.  So it is in all probability over the hill.  Sorry about that.  

But Port is high in both sugar and alcohol, so they do tend to hold up over time better than most wines.  So this one still might offer some charm. What it won't offer is much value on the auction market---I doubt you could get anyone to pay more than $15 or $20 for this.

So if it were mine, I would open it up and see what it's like.  You have nothing to lose, and you might find a lovely little bit of wine inside.  Pair it with roasted nuts, nice cheese...or a nice warm fire.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner