Wine/re: vermouth, Paul Masson

Thank you,

I have a bottle of Double Dry Vermouth, Paul Masson. do not know anything about it.  I saw this site and thought I would ask before I toss it.  The sticker from the store it was bought from says 109 c.

Thanks again, Wendy

Hi Wendy

Paul Masson was a very large producer of Vermouth over the years, but these bottles were always quite inexpensive.  They don't have any value on the current market.  Its flavor may have faded a bit, but it is still safe to drink.

Vermouth was originally made as a medicinal wine~the name is a corruption of the German word for wormwood, which gave it a bitter flavor.

Today Vermouth is sold as an aperitif or a mixer to be used in cocktails.  But I still like thinking of the old monks who invented it by combining red wine with a collection of herbs to create a medicine!
Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.