Wine/specific white wine

Hi Paul,
I'm trying to find the name of this white wine by Julius Kayser. I haven't seen it for several years, at least in the area we now live (WV). All in remember is it was a white Kayser wine with a "fat monk" in a brown robe on the label.
It's close to the "Black Cat" wine but, not the same.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lyle

I am afraid you're a few years too late.  I don't think there are any more Julius Kayser wines on the market here in the US--they seemed to have disappeared about fifteen years ago or so.

I think the wine you are remembering is the Liebfraumilch Glockenspiel--a very funny name, because it seems to make fun of the German wine laws. Normally, the first name would be the name of the village where the wine was sourced--but Liebfraumilch isn't a town name, just a general category of sweet white wine from Germany.  And the second name on the label, which is usually the name of the specific vineyard in that village, is GLockenspiel, which means a kind of xylophone they play in Germany.

Julius Kayser was having some fun with this one. If you liked the flavor of this wine, try Blue Nun, Block Tower, or some of the other inexpensive generic white wines from Germany.

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.