Wine/cognac? brandy?

My parents brought over 2 bottles of cognac/brandy from Italy in 1961, one is a Vecchia Romagna Etichetta Nera distilled in Buton Bologna Italia, sealed I see no date on it. The other bottle is Boulestin Fine Champagne Cognac sealed I can't see a date on this one either. I have searched the web and had no luck finding an expert in Virginia Beach Virginia or surrounding areas. Any suggestions on how I can information on their value and info on auctioning?

Hi Mary,

All distilled grape spirits are Brandy, sometimes qualified by quoting the country of origin, but only those distilled in the Cognac reqion of France may bear that name.

Both are normaly blended from several different distillations that have been aged in wood casks so it is rare to find single vintage ones.

I don't think either of your bottles are commonplace in the US so I'm afraid I can't suggest a replacement value. If you have it in mind to sell, you could only do so lawfully via a merchant or auction house so I suggest you ask Wine Commune ( for advice.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.