Wine/Mot et Chandon champagne

I have a bottle of Mot et Chandon Champagne Vintage 1961 and wondered if it was worth anything. Many thanks

Hi Karen

I don't have great news for you.  Even the greatest Champagnes begin to show their age after twenty-five years, and this one is well beyond that point. While the bubbles will be tiny (and may have disappeared completely) the fruit will have faded and the color will now be something between golden and just plain brown.  

For all of those reasons, this won't have much value on the auction market. Connoisseurs and collectors are both wary of bottles of bubbly this old.

It still may offer some charm, so there is no need to throw it out--chill it down and open to share with family or friends.  But have a back-up bottle on hand, just in case this one is totally DOA.

Hope that helps.  I wish I could be more encouraging.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.