Wine/Moet champagne

I have an unopened (no seepage) Vintage 1961 cuvee dom perignon, label has a nick towards the bottom of the shield.
I understand this could be collectable, should I keep or open & drink?

Paul, the nick won't lower much the value of the bottle. I tried a 1966 not long ago and it was in perfect condition. 1961 is considered a supreme year for Dom Perignon, so it should be even better. You can still keep it but, if I were in your shoes, I would open it: you never know if you still will be able to have it tomorrow! And if you need someone to have it with, I would have my hand raised high...with a Vintage Port Bottle to go with!

Antonio Rocha Graša

Viticulture issues, enology / winemaking issues. Wine regions of the world, with specialisation in the wines of Portugal, including Port. Tasting and sensory analysis, chemical analysis and the relation between both. Wine industry and wine economics (BUT NOT PRICES OF WINES). Sources of information regarding any aspect of wine. The human element of the wine industry and the integration of all aspects and sciences that concur to make a wine. Terroir.

I have been a winemaker for 20 years. I am also in charge of the R&D department of the largest wine company in Portugal.

Sogrape Vinhos S.A. ADVID (Association for the Development of Viticulture in Douro)

Degree in Enology - UTAD, Vila Real, Portugal