Wine/Wine labels 1970's

Wine labels
Wine labels  
I was bequeathed an attache case filled with never-used wine labels,including many neck labels, glue intact, mostly from the 1970's, some from the '60's. There are hundreds, maybe a thousand labels in mint or near-mint condition. Some from ordinary table wines, some more interesting. They are domestic and imported, and there are many duplicates. My question is: can you recommend how I can learn their value and where I could sell them? The photo shows a small grouping. Thank you.  Alan

Hi Alan

This is a tough one.  There is a small market for wine labels, but it's not very lucrative.  Most just sell for a few dollars, and the interest seems to be mainly in the really colorful ones.

There are a few people who might help you.  The California Wine Institute has a large library of wine labels...but they also get most of these directly from the wineries themselves.

Italy seems to be the home of the most enthusiastic collectors.  Their primary organization is called the AICEV...and they might be wirth contacting.

Finally, has lots of labels from wine and other products...and sells them, too.

Hope that helps!

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.