Wine/1982 Perrier-Jouet Special reserve MINT

Hi David, I have researched several posts on this very champagne and have one question:

How can you determine the following on an unopened bottle?

"....if it is pristine in terms of color, level and capsule."

This is your post from 2013 about the above champagne.  Does an appraiser have to make this determination?

Appreciate any help on this subject.

I live in SC in the US.

Hi Tom,

Any auctioneer will want to appraise potential lots himself before accepting them from the vendor as they all set minimum value thresholds - because they know that poor bottles won't attract the bids that will provide the commissions they need in order to operate a profitable business.

So there is no point in vendors wasting everyone's time by submitting single bottles when the wine has turned brown though age (not easy to judge through green glass!), has lost much of its contents and become 'ullaged' (invert the bottle if the foil obscures the level) or shows streaks from around the capsule resuting from leakage.

Incidentally, your bottle could be replaced for $199.00, plus taxes at the moment so an auction catalogue valuation of $80/$110 might be a realistic hope if you have it in mind to sell. Leland Little in Hillsborough NC ( is your nearest wine auctioneer I know - or you could try Wine Commune (

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.