Wine/40 y.o. bottle of Jacques Bonet Champagne

I have a bottle of Jacques Bonet & Cie, Extra Dry American Champagne that my father gave my grandmother over 40 years ago upon returning from Vietnam. It has(of course) never been opened and I cannot be certain of it's storage history, though when I found it several years ago it had been in her bedroom closet for at least 20 years.
I imagine it isn't worth too much, other than sentimentally, but I am quite curious of it's value.
Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jenesse Wannall

Hi Jenesse,

Jacques Bonet & Cie was a BOB - a Buyers Own Brand or trademark - used by United Vintners, Inc to enhance the appeal of their offerings and you are right to think your bottle 'isn't worth too much'.

In fact it is worthless as it would be impossible for you to sell it lawfully.

There is no possibility of pleasure from opening it either so your options are to keep it as a memento or dump it.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.