Wine/Pinot Noir

Hi Paul, My wife loves Pinot Noirs...but one in particular is her favorite.."Mirossou", and try as I may to buy her a higher end Pinot Noir on special occasions,,,she always reverts back to it; now that's not a problem , I realize,,,but just a stab in the dark here,,,would you happen to know a higher quality (special occasion) Pinot that is comparable in taste?..thank you.Nick

Hi Nick

Ha!  You have hit upon one of the great dilemmas of wine.  The Mirassou Pinot is lovely--it's made from really nice grapes that the family has farmed for years down on Monterey, and they've made it rich and ready to drink.  A lot of the more expensive Pinots are made it a more structured style to age longer...but that means that they are a bit tighter and leaner when they are young.  that's probably what you wife finds less attractive.

So here are a few of my favorites.  For ready to drink right now, it's hard to be Meiomi.  Rich, fruity, and soft.  Really nice stuff at about $20 a bottle.

If you can afford it, look for the Bel Glos wines that are similar in style, but even more richly flavored. Wente also makes some lovely wines from this same area.  

And the best solution of all is to buy a few nice wines now and age them for a year or two, so that they soften up.  I'd look at La Rochelle, Benovia, Ca Momi Reserve, or Ceja for this...

Hope that helps!

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.