QUESTION: I have a bottle of 770ml 1970 Charles Heidsieck Royal Brut Reims France champagne.  Wondering if it is worth anything as have seen different amounts online and also have heard that older champagnes don't taste as good as other aged alcohol.  So I guess I'm just wondering if it is just a collectors item or would someone buy this to drink and what do you think it is worth?

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

Old Champagnes have a following but I prefer them much younger than yours.

(A comparison with other wines could be misleading as no sparkling wine lasts as long as a fortiied still one. For example, there's no hurry to drink Fonseca's superb 1970 Vintage Port as this is now just nicely mature and has decades ahead of it!)

Unfortunately, alcohol sales are a Provincial monopoly in Canada so it wouldn't be lawful for you to sell your botlle; sorry, but that means it's effectively worthless.

I'm not actually looking to sell it but just wanted to know the value. My wife and I will probably open it up for our anniversary if it's past it's prime drinking year anyway. We'll have a story to tell at the least...

Hi Jason,

Sorry but 'value' means what a willing buyer might pay you and that's an impossible situation in Canada.

(It's not available to buy from any merchant in Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, so I couldn't quote a replacement cost either.)

I hope you enjoy it - although you may need a good story if age has caught up with this as I fear it may!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.