Wine/Burati Chianti

I have an old bottle of Chianti given to me by a family member.  It says Burati Chianti on the label, A monsieur Henri Selection, vintage 1977, Italia.  Its unopened, seal not broken.  I wanted to know if it was still any good to open it up and give it a try with family.  Its wrapped in the straw like bottle and looks old but I figured I'd look it up and cannot find any information.  I did find that one of the original members to start Banfi wines was a Rudy Buratti, but the spelling on the bottle is Burati.  If you know of anything I would appreciate some insight.  Thank you!

This wine is from all appearances a negociant bottling of a very basic Chianti. What that refers to is when an importer like Monsieur Henri, buys bulk wine and bottles it under a brand that they've created. This is very common and Monsieur Henri undoubtedly had dozens of their own branded negociant wines from all over. Most of these brands disappeared when the importer was sold. Oh, and it's not likely the name has anything to do with the Banfi Buratti. The name could have been made up or the name of one of the agents overseeing the brand, could be anything. In the 60's and 70's straw flask Chiantis were extremely popular. These were inexpensive wines made to be enjoyed while young and still fresh. They are not wines that will improve with age. I would not expect your bottle to be drinkable now.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.