I have a bottle of unopened Krug & Co Champagne private cuvée. Extra sec 1961. Still in good condition perfect labels. Just lost some of the foil on the top of the bottle.  Where would i go to sell if i wanted to do so .

Hi Jo,

This is a famous Champagne and it's noted for its long life so this could have substantial value if it's always been kept lying down in a cool dark place. It may have lost some value though if the bottle isn't pristine - as your note about the foil suggests.

Come back telling me whereabouts you are and I'll see if I know a specialist wine auctioneer near you who could help; or you could try: - a merchant specialising in old wines (but they may not be interested in a single bottle). - an on-line auction house.

Replacement value for a pristine bottle would be around £500 retail, plus VAT, so I think you might hope to sell for £200/300.

Condition is everything though so don't expect to get even close to that for a scruffy bottle with a low fill!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.