Wine/old wine

Is a bottle of 1949 Chateau Carbonnieux Premier Grand Cru, Leognan,drinkable.Also does it have any value?

Hi Ted,

Carbonnieux is an unusual property as it holds Premier Grand Cru status for both its red and white wines but I'm afraid there's virtualy no chance of pleasure drinking either of them after so long. Nor would it be easy to sell.

But there is just a chance that the red may be an interesting tasting experience as '49 was a famous vintage and some of the top wines are still very drinkable indeed if they've always been kept lying down in a cool dark place.

If you are asking about a red Ch. C., I suggest you hope for the best and treat the bottle accordingly:

a: Stand the bottle upright close to where you plan to serve the wine at least 24 hours beforehand.
b: Draw the cork carefully and without shaking the bottle about 6 hours before you pour - but DO NOT DECANT as that would create excessive aeration for such an old wine.
c: Pour into glasses IMMEDIATELY before tasting - and hope for pleasure before exposure to the air causes it to collapse into undrinkabilty.

(But I'm afraid that would be pointless if you are asking about the white version, which can be dummped!)

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.