Wine/1955 Salavert Chateauneuf-du-Pape

I don't know what to do with the above referenced wine.  It was given to me while helping an elderly lady move.  The bottle (and many others around the same age) were in her basement.  I have had it in mine.  There appears to be no leakage at all.  The labeling and wire mesh are in fair condition.  I would greatly appreciate any information.  Also, if you would like, I can send you the details of the other very old Champagnes I have.  I don't know what to do with them either.

The wines may have value. The best thing to do is to send them to a wine auction house and get an appraisal. Contact them first. Try JJ Buckley or Chicago Wine Company or Acker Merral or one of the online sites like or Any of them can appraise and then offer the wines for sale in an auction format.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.