Wine/Rare Douro port 1905

QUESTION: Hi I have this bottle of wine I want to sell I need to know where I can sell it and what to except to get from it. It is a sealed bottle of rare Douro port special reserve 5 I am sending photos as well if you need anything else let me know and thank you I have more pics to send and the back of the bottle has it's label to

ANSWER: Hi Robbie,

This is an aged Tawny Port from a single vintage, or 'Colheita', from a producer well-known for this style and popular with collectors.

I'd have no hestitation in suggesting a retail value into four figures USD if the bottle was pristine in terms of level, lable and capsule but it's difficult to predict a resale value of one in such poor condition.

I suggest you approach Wine Commune ( with a view to entering it into their on-line auction system and be guided by them. Don't forget to allow for their commission and please be prepared for a negative response if they feel the bottle condition is too poor for them to list.

QUESTION: Hi wanted to say thanks for the info,would you know anyone who would be willing to buy this for 500 bucks. I can and will send as many photos as you need thanks

Hi Robbie,

Sorry but the private sale of alcohol is unlawful in the US so you MUST work through a licenced auction house or merchant. I don't know any merchants in OK who specialise in old Ports but Wine Commune has many years' experience in arranging sales for collectors so I'm sure you would do best via them. (Assuming they feel your bottle is in a marketable condition.)

Good luck!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.