Wine/wine evaluation

Question
Hi, My husband purchased a safe that contained a box of 6, unopened bottles of 1995 Weisenheimer am Berg Mandelgarten. The label also says Ortega -White Grape Wine. Bottle size is 375 ML.  Am interested in a value and would like to sell.

Answer
Hi Teri,

These are very difficult to value as they came from the Pieroth direct-sale wine organisation, which doesn't sell via retailers so there is no benchmark price to guide me.

Furthermore, Pieroth do not enjoy much of a reputation amongst wine enthusiasts so demand may be disappointing.

You haven't quoted the full text from the label but I'm guessing that these are probably late-harvest wines in the Beerenauslese or Trockenbeerenauslese style that are both intensely sweet and intended for sipping without food. If so, and if you were to seek something similar from a reputable source you would need to budget for around 100USD per 375.

BUT, given that these are Pieroth bottlings, I'm afraid you might be lucky to get that for all six.

It wouldn't be lawful for you to sell these privately so I suggest you ask Wine Commune (http://www.winecommune.com/) if they'd accept them for their on-line auction system.

David
.

Wine

David Ling