Wine/Expiry of paul mason wines

Hi Paul,

I have 2 bottles of Paul Mason wines (a burgundy and a chablis) that has been on the shelf for years. I am wondering if these are still good to drink, I am unable to find expiry dates on the bottles although the seal on the cover has the year 2008 printed on it. I would like to know if these wines are still ok to drink. Thank you for your time, I appreciate you sharing your expertise on this matter :)

Hi Caryl

There are really two questions here.

1. Are these wines safe to drink?  Almost certainly yes.  Wine has such high alcohol and acid levels that no real pathogens can live in these are pretty safe.

2. Are they going to taste good?  Probabaly not so good.  These were never made to age, they were made to be consumered upon release.  They have now lost some of their fruit, and are going to be a bit tired and faded.

But they won't hurt you, and you have nothing to lose. Open them up and see what you think.  The worst that could happen is that you can use them to cook with.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.