Hello ive have these bottles of port ones a vintage.Porto moreira 1987 vintage the other one is a taylors its on a waxed sealed bottle but very hard to read next one is a harrods v.c vintage character port it has a number which is one is a Bristol cream and its in a blue bottle please could you help.

Hi Anne,

I'll try to help if I can but I need more information about the first two please:

I only know of Moreira as a small producer of Aged Tawny Ports so are you sure this is a VP, not a Colheita?

And I need a fuller description of the Taylor as this is from a large and long-established produce with a huge range.

(The full text from these labels would be very helpful.)

The Harrods bottle is simply a good Ruby Port that was given the misleading description of 'Vintage Character' for marketing reasons although it won't be very much like a VP. The term was banned in 2002 so your bottle must pre-date that, which doesn't bode well for the contents as Rubies are intended for drinking on release and don't improve with keeping.

Bristol Cream is a commercial sweet Sherry.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.