Wine/Porto Dalva House Reserve 30

Question
dalva
dalva  
Hi, I found out this old Port bottle of my relatives. Which kind of port wine should be? Is it drinkable, and what about an average market value of it?
Bottled in 1973, matured in wood 30 years
Awfully thanks!

Answer
Hi Fabrizio,

This is a blended Tawny Port 'with a statement of age' - which simply means that the makers judged it to match the house style for a wine of that age - that they bottled in 1973 intending it to be drunk soon after that.

It will not have improved since then but Ports decline relatively slowly so it should certainly still be drinkable, although it may have faded and lost some of the original fruit.

I can't suggest a market value as I don't know any merchant offering the same wine. However Gelardini & Romani (http://www.grwineauction.com) might be willing to indicate a catalogue figure if you were to offer it to them as a potential auction entry.

David
.

Wine

David Ling