Wine/1982 Dom Perignon Magnum

Question
QUESTION: I have a magnum of 1982 Dom Perignon.
The original box is damaged but intact.
The foil seal is damaged but intact.
The level has reduced slightly due to evaporation I believe.
I would like to know if it is ok to drink or if you think it is still valuable? I would consider selling it for the right price.
Being of a vintage year, I had an excellent valuation a number of years ago but that was prior to the evaporation.
Please advise,
Many thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Nicola,

It would cost you close to £1000 to replace this with a perfect mag if you could find one so the potential auction value would have been in the order of £750/£850, even though this is rather old now.

However, I'm afraid buyers of old Champagne seek pristine bottles with good levels, lables and foils from professional cool storage so the auctioneer might suggest a lower catalogue figure for yours.

Please come back telling me whereabouts in the UK you are and I'll see if I know an auctioneer near you who you could approach for an appraisal as a potential auction entry.

Regarding the 'OK to drink' part of your question, I would rather sell this if I could and buy a younger bottle to drink. But ... !

David
.

QUESTION: I am in Plymouth, Devon. Does that help?

Answer
Hi Nicola,

Sorry but I don't know of any specialist wine auctioneers that far west. Two suggestions though:

J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny are the largest wine auctioneer outside London and they would probably arrange for one of their appraisers to call by appointment next time they have anyone in your area and Bid for Wine are an active on-line auctioneer who might help.

http://www.strakerchadwick.co.uk/
http://www.bidforwine.co.uk/

David
.

Wine

David Ling