Wine/Chateauneuf du pape

Hi I was just wondering if you could tell me about some wines I have. 1x vintage 1966 Chateauneuf dr pape appellation contrôlée , x2 clos des papes terroir castelpapal 1998. X2 2007 clos du mont Oliver chateauf du pape. I'd like to no if they are worth anything money wise, Do I keep them, or drink. Any help would be great thanks

Hi Luke,

I can't identify the 1966 CdP without knowing the full text from the label but this is now very old indeed, which means that it is not likely to give pleasure if you were to open it and has little value.

The 1998s are from an excellent vintage and that Clos des Papes is highly regarded but it won't improve with further age so I'd drink them fairly soon.

2007 was one of the best recent vintages in the Rhone and Clos du Mont Olivet is one of the many successes. These should now be nicely mature but will keep if you have them lying down in a cool dark place.

If you have it in mind to sell these, I'd expect a specialist wine auctioneer such as J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny ( to suggest catalogue figures of around £25/45 per for the '98s and '07s but much less for the '66.

Don't forget to allow for their commission.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.