Wine/Dom Perignon 1982 magnum

Question
I have a magnum of 1982 Dom Perignon.
The original box is damaged but intact.
The foil seal is damaged but intact.
The level has reduced slightly due to evaporation I believe.
I would like to know if it is ok to drink or if you think it is still valuable? I would consider selling it for the right price.
Being of a vintage year, I had an excellent valuation a number of years ago but that was prior to the evaporation.
Please advise,
Many thanks.

Answer
HI Nicola

Even the best Champagnes begin to show their age after twenty five years, and this one is now almost ten years beyond that.  I am concerned about the ullage (the loss of liquid in the bottle.)   You are right to attribute that to evaporation through the cork...but when the wine leaves, air generally gets in.  And air is bad for wine.

It certainly won't hurt you--the acidity level and alcohol in this wine will protect against anything dangerous.  But it may have lost some of its charm.  Rather than rich and fruity, it may now be a bit tired...although it may also have gained some complexity. It could be lovely, but at this point it is a real crapshoot.

Given that you have only one bottle, and the storage conditions may be questionable, I don't think this bottle has appreciated much over the past fiteen years---and probably has lost some value.

If it were mine, I would open it on a special occasion and share it with friends.  And I would have a back-up bottle or two on hand, just in case!

Hope that helps

PW  

Wine

Paul Wagner