Wine/monis collectors 1948 port (set of 6)

Hi I am based in Cape Town and have a seller how wants a valuation on this South African product of which only 5000 bottles were produced.As each bottle is numbered do the bottles vary in value according to its number?As you are aware a set of 6 monis collectors 1948 port sold at the nederburg auction for R68 000/GBP3800.From sales i have seen a realistic price would be around half this amount is this correct?
Thank you for your time.

Hi Declan,

South African 'ports' are a bit out of my field as my experience is of the real stuff - from Portugal.

However, bottle numbering is a commonplace marketing tool aimed at enhancing perceived value so I suppose someone might pay more for the first in a series although I don't see why!

I think you are right to dismiss Nederburg results as being useful benchmarks, in the same way that Beaune ones aren't, because bottles bought at these internationally-famed auctions acquire a cachet that allows buyers to boast about their puchases. The wine is no better or worse than the same thing bought through normal channels so I suggest you stick to your guns and value according to your experience.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.