Wine/Sweetness

Question
I've tasted a wine-"Apothic red blend" which is so sweet, I can't drink it. Does the winemaker add sugar to it, or is there a process in its production which promotes such syrupy sweetness? Thanks.

Answer
Robert,
Sweet wines are very common and probably thousands of years ago most wines had some sweetness. The reason for this is that the sugar on the grapes ferments and turns to alcohol. When the process is incomplete there is sugar left over in the wine. The wine you had was made in a similar way. Fermentation is stopped mid-stream usually by adding sulfur  which kills the yeast  and leaves lots of residual sugar and a sweet wine.  

Wine

Joshua Farrell