I have a normal size bottle of Hankey Bannister & Co Champagne described as Dry, Crown Reserve, Epernay. Code M.A.2 618.029
Produce of France.
This is an aged bottle with full seal in place
Does it have any value and is it drinkable ?
I await your response with thanks

Hi Norman,

I think your bottle dates from the 50s or 60s, when HB was owned by the merchants Saccone & Speed, as they are now a whisky producer.

(The code MA means: Marque auxiliaire or Marque d'acheteur; a brand name unrelated to the producer or grower but owned by someone else, usually a BOB or Buyer's Own Brand.)

Thus this was never a great Champagne and it's decades past its best now so I doubt that you'd find pleasure from drinking it.

It would be very difficult to sell so I'm afraid it's effectively worthless.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.