Wine/Champagne

Question
I have a bottle of champagne that was given to me by an elderly aunt a number of years ago. It is Henriot Reims French Reserve Baron Phillippe de Rothschild champagne 1971. It has been stored in a cellar for many years and is displayed in a black hinged box. Is this champagne a good champagne? I am not a champagne lover and would hate to waste and not appreciate a fine champagne. I would offer it for sale if it was worth it.

Answer
Hi Thomas

Even the best Champagne begins to show its age after twenty-five years, and this one is well beyond that point.  I'm afraid it will be pretty tired---with faded flavors, disappearing bubbles, and color that is a bit more brown than gold.  

I'm sorry to say that it won't have much value on the auction market because of all of the above.  

But that's not to say it might not still have some charm.  I would open it with a few friends, making sure it is nice and cold, and see what it's like.  And I'd have a back-up bottle on hand, just in case this one is over the hill completely

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner