Wine/bottle of bollingers special cuvee brut

Hi Mr Ling l have had this bottle since 1976 in box, and would like to know why the black label has "EXTRA" on it with 3 gold stars round gold circle and 1 black star with 5 lines trailing from it inside gold circle. l would be grateful if you could let me know if it is worth something if l sell it. It also has a number stamped near rim reading L531901.   thankyou

Hi Janine,

I'm not aware of any special significance to the 'Extra' so I think this is probably just a marketing aid.

Old NV Champagne isn't easy to sell in single-bottle quantities but several UK aucioneers sell wine for time to time so please come back telling me whereabouts you are and I'll see if I know one local to you who might be able to help.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.