Wine/champagne value

Question
Do you have any knowledge of champagne or sparkling wine and its value? I have bottles of oldish random bottles and would like to know whether to hold on to them, drink or throw?
Marie Stuart brut tradition
Boucher pere & fils
A carpentier
Cheers

Answer
HI Kay

Without knowing the exact ages of the wines you have, I can tell you that they were not meant for long term aging. Only the very best Champagnes are really intended to be aged--and those are identified by having the distinction of a vintage date on the label.  Any non-vintage dated Champagne is really intended to be consumed within a few years of release, and won't really improve much with additional bottle age.  

As they age, these non-vintage Champagnes tend to lose some of the charm of their fruit, and may even lose some bubbles as well.  It won't hurt you to drink them, but they may not be as good (or taste the same) as you remember.  

For all of those reasons, Champagnes like this don't tend to increase in value with age. If anything, most connoisseurs would be likely to pay less, rather than more, for such bottles.

I am sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.  If they were mine, I would chill them down and drink them at the next special occasion---and I'd have a back-up bottle or two on hand just in case they are completely past their prime.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner