QUESTION: I have a magnum of mouton-cadet/Baron Philippe de Rothschild 1970-is it of value?
I live in Liverpool England.
The label also reads:

Appellation bordeux controlee

La Bergerie
Shipped by Edward Young & co
London Liverpool & Glasgow

Thank you for your time

ANSWER: Hi Anita,

I'm afraid this is now very old indeed for a merchant blend so little value remains.

It might just be worth asking Silverwood's in Clitheroe ( if they'd accept it for one of the wine auctions they hold from time to time. But I wouldn't be surprised if they decline it as unlikely to reach their minimum value threshold.

QUESTION: Many thanks David
I also have a magnum of Champagne Millennium Bollinger Edition Especiale
Produce of France Brut
Is this worth anything? Is it drinkable?
Thank you for your time
Kind regards

Hi Anita,

I'm afraid I couldn't suggest a value for this Bollinger unless you can authenticate that it is as you describe.

I'm not sure if Silverwood's would have the detailed knowledge to do this for you but, if they do, I'm sure they'll be aware that a huge quantity of fake Bollinger in magnums was distributed around the NW by crooks seeking to cash-in on Millenium celebrations. (See:

But if they aren't willing to get involved with a possible fraud, please come back with a close-up photo of the label in case i can spot anything obvious.

I hope my fears are unfounded.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.