Wine/value of wine,sherry ?

I have an unopened (sealed with heavy plastic?) heart shape bottle of "Paul Masson Rare Cream Sherry". Cuvee no. 001c, 4/5 Quart. This is probably 30 plus years old,my dad had it. Always stored in cool basement. Does it have any value? I don't want to throw it out if it is valuable.

Hi Cheryl

I know this wine well, and have tasted a few bottles over the years.  It's not something that was meant to age, but the high sugar and higher alcohol in this this wine preserved it pretty well.  It's yummy, with the sugar somewhat caramelized now, and a nutty, toasty note in the nose.

But Paul Masson wines have never been collectible, and this hasn't appreciated in value much.  I've seen bottles for sale for $15~20.

So the good  news is that it's tasty.  The bad news is that it isn't  valuable.  The only solution is for you to drink it or give it to someone might like it!

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.