Wine/Wine Value

1 have a bottle of Chateau COS D'estournel -1982 vintage. What is it's current value and is it's drinkability past its prime?
Thanks, Curt

Hi Curt,

This is a very fine Bordeaux from a famous vintage that is now just past its plateau of maturity so 'yes' it's probably past its prime and should be drunk fairly soon. But we're talking at a fairly stratospheric level!

You might be able to replace it for $300/400 or so, plus taxes, so it might be worth contacting Wine Commune ( if you have it in mind to sell at auction, but don't expect bids to reach the higher end of my figures unless you can prove that the bottle has always been kept lying down in a cool dark place and is pristine in terms of level, lable and capsule.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.