Wine/Cruse & fils freres

I have come across a vintage 1964 cruse & freres saint Emilion red Bordeaux. It has not been stored properly. I was curious as to the value of the wine and if it could be consumed. I am wanting to open it to give it a taste but if it is going to be nasty, I'd just as well keep it for a show piece.  And if found to be of some value , I'm not at all partial to keeping it. Paid ten dollars for it at a flea market. Any light you could shed on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Hi Steven

This is a negociant wine--one that was blended together from bulk wine in the market--and was never meant to be aged.  It was made to be consumed with five years of the vintage.  It's not from a specific chateau in Bordeaux--that would make it more valuable.

I'm sorry to tell you that it has no value other than as a curiosity.  I think ten dollars is about right.  It won't hurt you--the acid and alcohol levels in wine prevent just about anything bad from growing in the bottle--but it won't taste good.  The color will have changed from ruby to brick or even brown, the aromas are faded, and the fruit will have disappeared.

Sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.