Wine/Cruse & fils freres

Question
I have come across a vintage 1964 cruse & freres saint Emilion red Bordeaux. It has not been stored properly. I was curious as to the value of the wine and if it could be consumed. I am wanting to open it to give it a taste but if it is going to be nasty, I'd just as well keep it for a show piece.  And if found to be of some value , I'm not at all partial to keeping it. Paid ten dollars for it at a flea market. Any light you could shed on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
Steven

Answer
Hi Steven

This is a negociant wine--one that was blended together from bulk wine in the market--and was never meant to be aged.  It was made to be consumed with five years of the vintage.  It's not from a specific chateau in Bordeaux--that would make it more valuable.

I'm sorry to tell you that it has no value other than as a curiosity.  I think ten dollars is about right.  It won't hurt you--the acid and alcohol levels in wine prevent just about anything bad from growing in the bottle--but it won't taste good.  The color will have changed from ruby to brick or even brown, the aromas are faded, and the fruit will have disappeared.

Sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner