Wine/Storing Wine

Hi Josh,
I have a question about red wine storage. I don't have the ability to truly cellar a wine, but I do have a wine fridge which I keep at 55-58░

I have a bottle of the 2012 Caymus Cabernet (and a couple of other things) that I've been holding onto for the past year in this refrigerator, and I think I'm ready to drink it. Is this method of storing wine reliable? I don't want to be let down when I pour a glass!

Absolutley, wine fridges are designed to replicate the conditions of an actual wine cellar and they will perform the admirably. I have several Eurocaves myself that have worked incredibly well for more than 10 years now. Decant the wine and let it warm up closer to room temperature and it should reward you handsomely.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.