Wine/Value - 1964 Sichel & Fils Freres Medoc

Question
I bought a house owned by a gentleman who owned a Liqueur Store, and left behind in the basement was a bottle of 1964 Sichel & Fils Freres Medoc Ruban Rouge red bordeaux. I do not know the history of this bottle. The label is in decent shape but appears to have a little dark discoloration, possibly mold on it. I was wondering if this is a desirable wine and if it has any value. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Erik

This is a negociant wine--one that was blended from lots purchased on the bulk market, rather than the produce of a specific chateau in Bordeaux.  It was blended and bottled specifically to be drinkable when it was released, and was never expected to age more than a year or two.

With that in mind, and given that 1964 was a mediocre vintages in Bordeaux anyway, this wine won't have any value on the open market.  I think you'll find that the color is browning, the nose quite tired, and the fruit quite faded.  

I am sorry that I can't give you better news...

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner