Wine/Vintage port

QUESTION: I have a Warre's1977-150cl bottle of vintage port -Millenium vintage . It is in a wooden box felt lined hinged. There is also a certificate with it and the bottle has William Warre s signature ( or copy) on the label. Could you please give an estimate of its value.L

ANSWER: Hi Marilyn,

Magnums of Vintage Port are fairly rare at auction so you could hope for bids into three figures GBP if the bottle is in good condition in terms of level, capsule and label.

Come back telling me whereabouts you are if you have it in mind to sell and I'll see if I know a reputable auction house nearby who could appraise your bottle professionally and suggest an appropriate catalogue figure.

QUESTION: Thanks for your help David - think I might take it to auction - live in Wiltshire / Gloucestershire on the border!  Regards Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

There are several general auctioneers near you who accept wine from time to time but I think you'd probably do better asking a specialist wine auctioneer in this case as they may get a better price.

I'd contact J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny ( and ask them to arrange for one of their appraisers to call by appointment next time they have anyone in your area - or you could take it to them if you ever go that way.

Don't forget to allow for their sale commission.

Good luck!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.