Wine/C.Da Silva House Reserve Port 1937

Hello David, I live in Australia and have a bottle of House Reserve Port - 1937 Vintage - the label, ribbon and seals are in great condition it is numbered 823445.

As said the  C. Da Silva House Reserve Port 1937 has been well cared for but I'm having some difficulty in obtaining any information regarding it ... could you assist me please.

I would like to know more about the wine and if possible the worth of same.

I await your response and thank you in anticipation.

Regards, Kerry  

Hi Kerry,

This is an aged Tawny or 'Colheita' - a speciality of this house - that was probably produced by Noval and could interest collectors. However it's not a prime example of the type as the vintage was rather ordinary and the only tasting note I've found isn't very complimentary.

I'd rather not guess at its worth as it is so rare that there's no price history to guide me. But that rarity could drive auction bids to 'interesting' levels if a couple of Port enthusiasts want it to fill a gap in their collections so I suggest you ask Langton's ( to suggest an appropriate catalogue figure if you were to enter it in one of their specialist wine sales. But don't forget to allow for their commission.

Good luck!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.