Wine/Collectors wine. Life size shot gun.

Wine bottle shot gun 1923
Wine bottle shot gun 1  
Hello. I have had a wine bottle come into my possession from my grand father. It is a 1923 (earlier maybe) life size shot gun wine bottle rapped in leather. Never opened red wine, cork says Bourghini Gabriele cortaldo, serial number 4897-f1. If you have any information on this at all please let me know as I'm curious about it. Thanks so much

Hi Kate,

Fancy wine bottles are a mainstay of the glass industry around Florence in Italy but I've never seen one such as yours before. Other designs are still popular as tourist souvenirs but they always contain the cheapest wine the maker can find as it's not intended for drinking.

I can't suggest a value because I'm afraid I'm not an expert on Canadian law so I don't know how you'd go about selling this wine privately, even when it's incidental to the bottle containing it and isn't for consumption.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.