Wine/need help

Question
Hello,i was given a Grande Champagne Jules DURET Cognac.Can you tell me some information of this Cognac.

Answer
Hi Yolanda

The good news?  This is so high in alcohol that it doesn't change much at all with time in the bottle---it's as good today as it was the day it was bottled.  The bad news? It hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do, for exactly the same reason.  It's worth about what a current bottling of Cognac is worth--maybe about $100-150 or so.  

Here's a bit more about the company as a whole: Gert v. Paczensky wrote about this cognac: "The brand Jules Duret was used for exports to the USA... it included top qualities: Grande Champagne Grande Champagne Lot024/98."

When in 1890 Theodore Duret merged his company, Jules Duret, with another prominent independent Cognac firm (Louis Royer), many casks and 'Dame Jeanne' from the substantial stock of mature 'Eau-de-Vie' were secreted away to a dark and hidden cellar near Jarnac known fondly and appropriately as the Paradis.

The name and reputation of Jules Duret is being revived today with this superb Grande Champagne cognac - drawn almost exclusively from the Paradis cellar and blended with all the love and care for the fine tradition of the cognac Jules Duret of the 19th century.

Part of this is to help the company recover from some of the loss of image that occurred when Suntory purchased it in the late 1980's.

Your bottle is a Grand Champagne, so it is close to the top of the line--darn nice stuff!

hope that helps

Wine

Paul Wagner