Wine/value of wines

Hello! My father recently passed away and while cleaning out his house we found 3 bottles of wine and are wondering if they are worth anything and/or are ok to drink if they're not worth any thing. They are all from Portugal. The first one is named BelaVinha and is produced & bottled in Estremadura I'm 1990 and says Vinho Tinto. The other 2 bottles are Duque de Palmella, also vinho tinto, from Torres Vedras  Portugal, and the label says Veritatem Regibus and they're both from 1988. The sole U.S. importer listed on the label is Dexx Wine and Spirits in Chelmsford, MA but a search of the internet shows that they are no longer in business. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated, thank you. Please let me know if you would like pictures of the back of the bottles.

Hi Sheila,

I don't think you'd find any auction houses or merchants who'd be interested in these so they're effectively worthless as you couldn't sell them lawfully.

However they might still be enjoyable drinks (especially if they have been stored lying down in a cool dark place) so I suggest you try them with something else on stand-by in case they have declined too far.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.