Wine/Paul Masson wine

Question
Paul Masson Shery
Paul Masson Shery  

Paul Masson Sherry
Paul Masson Sherry  
Hello
I have a boxed set of unopened Paul Masson Rare Cream Sherry and Rare
Souzao Port,Cuvee 001C and 001S. I've had them sitting upside down on a book shelf since around 1975. The box is designed to look like two leather bound books. It is very realistic.  I am an illustrator and I did the illustration for the book design. Could you please tell me if the wine is drinkable and if it has much value. Would it help the value if I signed the box?  
Thank you very much -

Answer
Hi Mark

I know these wines well. Co0ngratulations---the packaging is terrific!  But these were not really meant to age this long.  One clue is that they used the shorter bar-top corks, instead of longer traditional corks.  Those shorter corks don't seal as well, and you're lucky if you don't see a bit of wine leaking out at least one of your bottles.

I've seen a few of these for sale from time to time, but they've never attracted much attention from collectors or connoisseurs--probably because Masson made so much of this stuff.  It is not rare.  The prices I've seen are around $15-20 a bottle or so.

Your matched set might be worth a bit more, but I doubt it.  It seems as if people are more interested in one or the other, so having them both doesn't add much value.  

You could check with the experts at antiquebottles.com.  They're the ones who really know about collectability for the bottles themselves.  The wine is tasty--but it won't make you rich.

Sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner