Wine/Valuation Bottle of Champagne

Question
QUESTION: Pre War 1945 Champagne- Delamotte Pere&Pils-Maison Fondee A Rheims AUXV111eSIECLE-Le Mesnil s/- OGE?- MARNE

ANSWER: Hi Keith

I don't have great news for you.  Even the best Champagnes begin to show their age after twenty-five years, and this one is way beyond that point.  The bubbles will have disappeared almost entirely, the color will be now darkening, and the fruit flavors and character will have long since departed.  For all of those reasons, this bottle won't have any real interest for those in the auction market.  It might still have a bit a charm in the bottle, but you won't get anyone to pay much for this one.

If it were mine, I would chill it down and open it on a special occasion, knowing full well that it will be delicate at best, and DOA at worst.  I'd have a back-up bottle on hand just in case.

Hope that helps--and I'm sorry I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner

QUESTION: Thank you for your honesty- do you think it would be better to leave it with the cork in as it has a metal bar going from one side of the neck to the other going deep into the cork on top? Also I have a bottle of Black Dog whisky Centenary Aged & Rare if you can help me out aswell pls

Answer
Hi Keith

Sorry for the delay--I was taking my kids to the airport as they all headed back after the holidays.  

The value of the bottle, if it is at all collectible, would be higher unopened.  But I don't think it would really matter much with this one.  You could check with the very nice people at Antiquebottles.com.  They are the real experts on collectible bottles.

As for the Black Dog--the good news is that with distilled spirits, the level of alcohol is so high that they don't change much, for better or for worse, once they go in the bottle.  The good news is that this one should be perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  It's worth about what a current bottling would sell for...and not much more.

Hope that helps!

Paul  Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner