found a bottle of wine , lables very damaged , says republique francaise on top and on front of bottle just   cpj but letters over lapped , do we open and try or is it worth something , sorry there is nothing elsre on bottle , thankyou

If the label is damaged to the extent that you cannot read it I suspect its not worth a great deal, however I personally would open decant and drink, you may have a pleasant surprise, you don't describe the shape of the bottle, if it has "shoulders" its likely to be a Bordeaux, if the Neck slopes down gently then it could be Burgundy or Rhone, whichever Definitely worth a try.

Kind regards,

David Baines Wine Consultant to Charterhouse Auctions Sherborne Dorset.  

David Baines

I can answer any questions with regard to Wines of the world, Spirits and Liqueurs.

I am at present the Wines & Spirits Consultant/valuer to Charterhouse Auctions Sherborn Dorset UK.

As above but in a retired mode.

I was an Expert with you until I had to stop because of ill health, I am now recovered and would like to continue.

I have a teaching Degree and am a WSET Wine Educator (retired) I am also a Fellow of The British Institute of Innkeeping (Retired and a Fellow of the Institute of Hospitality (Retired)

Cert ED

Consultant / Vauer to Charterhouse Auctions Sherborne Dorset UK, Lecturer at the City of Bath College Bath UK Training adviser to several Organisations in the S W UK.