Wine/Cristal Champagne

Question
I have a bottle of Cristal Champagne 1995 and it's in a crate like box and still wrapped in yellow cellophane and was wondering how much it would be worth. thankyou

Answer
Hi Margaret,

You have a bottle of very fine Champagne that would cost you £250/300 to replace, plus VAT etc, and that might attract bids at auction that approach that figure if the cellophane wrapper* hasn't been disturbed  and it's always been kept lying down in a cool place.

* Roederer introduced this Champagne in a clear glass bottle in 1876 for Alexander II of Russia - to demonstrate its purity - and this has continued to distinguish it from other premium brands. However, they recognised that clear glass left the Champagne susceptible to UV damage unless the bottles were stored in the dark or was protected. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristal_%28wine%29.)

Therefore buyers at auction are always wary when 'naked' Cristals are offered and the value drops accordingly.

Come back if you have it in mind to sell this and I'll see if I know a Scottish auctioneer who might be able to help.

David
.  

Wine

David Ling